Prayer - Does God speak to us?
We are "spoken to" in MANY ways:
● Thoughts or "inner voices" come from 3 possible sources: God, the devil, ourselves
● We must always judge (or discern) these 3 voices by whether or not they line up with the Bible (God's word).
● The better we know God’s word, the better we will be able to decide the source of who is speaking to us. God would never tell us something against His word.
1) God speaks to us Audibly (probably the rarest):
Adam and Eve – Genesis 2:16, 17
Noah – Genesis 6:12-16
Abraham – Genesis 12:1-3 and Genesis 22:1-2, 10-12, 15-18
Samuel – 1 Samuel 3
Jesus speaking throughout the New Testament
Holy Spirit – Ezekiel 36:27, John 14:16-17
2) God speaks through SCRIPTURES:
LOGOS = written word of God = Bible (God will never contradict this)
Psalms 119:11 Thy word (LOGOS) have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
RHEMA = the spoken word of God in our hearts. The witness of the Holy Spirit within you.
Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word (RHEMA) of God. Characteristics of RHEMA: the words are Revelatory (bring clearness), Relevant, Redemptive (bring you closer to God)
If we believe we hear a "RHEMA" word from God, the scriptures must always line up with this Rhema.
3) God speaks to us through VISIONS and DREAMS:
Acts 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
● VISION: G3706 ὅρασις horasis (hor'-as-is) From G3708; the act of gazing, external, an inspired appearance.
● DREAMS: G1798 ἐνύπνιον enupnion (en-oop'-nee-on) something seen in sleep, that is, a dream (or vision in a dream).
Dreams and Visions can involve much symbolism. It is a study in itself.
4) God speaks to us through the Natural Realm (beauty of His creation, analogies, etc). Note: We should never worship the "creation" more than the "Creator".
5) God speaks to us through the SuperNatural Realm
6) God speaks to us through others (If this happens, the message must affirm Jesus and line up with Scripture)
What are the Hindrances to Hearing God’s Voice?
• Un-forgiveness, selfishness, not repenting from sin, not having faith
• Not having a “Quiet Time” or uninterrupted place to Pray.
● Mind wondering – makes CD’s great idea because it keeps going anyway. Your subconscious stays praying.
● Not sure what to pray
● Bad mood
● Disagree with a certain prayer (written or on Audio)